We believe that children learn best when they are fully involved with the teaching and learning process - and when they are having fun! Each Lern Fonix lesson is conducted as an 'active learning session' where there are short bursts of teacher input, between which the children immediately practice and apply what they are being taught. This is a fresh approach to the normal lesson structure of input then back to tables. The lesson is learner centred and children are fully involved, active and participating learners. Through clever teaching points and funny rhymes and sentences to read and write they have a great time too! The teacher is a facilitator of knowledge as opposed to a transmitter. This style of teaching and learning also provides excellent Assessment for Learning opportunities for teachers who can give necessary 'on the spot' feedback and support. Each lesson is based on the U.K. Department for Education and Science (DfES) 'Letters and Sounds' approach to teaching phonics which is 'Revisit, Teach, Practice, Apply'. The Lern Fonix scheme of work is entirely delivered through this approach giving children daily opportunities to practice reading and writing.
Our aims are:
- To have every child* reach the Age Related Expectations for reading and writing.
- To teach every sound needed to pass the yearly phonics check at the end of Year 1.
- To embed children's phonics knowledge at a level of deeper understanding.
- To provide daily practice of key literacy skills.
- To reduce the workload for teachers. The lessons are so simple that all they need is that magic touch from a teacher to bring them to life.
- Most of all, to ensure children and teachers have fun whilst teaching and learning! Happy classrooms produce the best learners and Lern Fonix guarantees enjoyment for all.
*Excluding children with Special Educational Needs, English as an Additional Language etc